Friday, June 6, 2014

The Nightstand Diaries #1

Hey, y'all! Welcome to the first installment of "The Nightstand Diaries"! Being the avid reader that I am, friends and acquaintances often ask me for new book recommendations. Searching through my home library and pondering on past reads to find the perfect book for a friend gives me such a thrill! So what better way to share what I've been reading than through this blog? Now that summer break is upon us, I have had a little bit more time to read which make my heart happy.

I absolutely loved The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro. I love historical fiction books that entwine different decades, and this is no exception. Although a bit dark at times, it is worth reading about socialite Grace Monroe as she unravels the mystery of her past one scent at a time.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. If I could use one word to describe this book it would be captivating. Outlander follows World War II combat nurse, Claire Randall, as she falls back in time to the Jacobite Rebellion in Scotland. This was one book where I just felt smarter once I finished reading it. I had to look up many words that were specific to that time period (thanks, Nook!) and I learned about a piece of history that I was completely unfamiliar with. You are entranced the moment you begin reading. And the best part? So far there are 8 books in the series. Additionally, STARZ debuts the tv show version in August, so I'd suggest reading the first installment ASAP. This is not a novel for the faint of heart. It boasts over 800 pages, so if you are looking for a quick beach read this may not be the book for you. Speaking of beach reads....


All The Summer Girls by Meg Donohue is a delightful beach read. Three childhood friends, whose lives were forever changed one hot summer day, have reunited at the Avalon beach house where it all began. I read this in two days, so it is perfect to stash in your beach bag and read poolside with a fruity beverage in hand!

I'm heading to the beach on Sunday and would love to hear what you are reading this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips